Tastes Like Horse (ed.13): Joel's -- A Slice of Heaven

20 May 2009

I've mentioned Joel's before. Who (or what) exactly is Joel's? It's a new restaurant in the Bubbling Springs building. (The small restaurant that was there this summer had moved out by the time I arrived in November.) Joel's opened a month or two ago and has been an unlooked-for blessing.


Joel's, originally uploaded by Wanderings.

Joel -- the owner and chef extraordinaire -- is a British ex-pat who's been living in Mongolia for a number of years now. He's been the head chef at a number of restaurants during his time here, but moved into our building because it was a great fit for his catering business. As a way of saying thanks (for the opportunity and for the affordable rent), he provides YUMMY and cheap food for the building (and the many other patrons who knew of him before or have since heard of him). He keeps his prices low and even has a student's menu with smaller portions. Needless to say, he's made the families at the co-op very happy.


untitled, originally uploaded by Wanderings.

A couple weekends ago, Holly and I decided that Joel's new milkshakes were a perfect excuse for some quality girl time. We ordered up some nuggets, fries, a British sausage roll and two chocolate milkshakes. We had fun enjoying the "better-than-McDonald's" food and brainstorming redecorating ideas for the restaurant. Holly's plan includes new curtains and giant polka-dots on the walls. Who knows? Maybe it could be a project for the Co-op.


mmmilkshake, originally uploaded by Wanderings.

Aside from the tasty food, I really enjoyed getting to spend a little time with Holly. Before Joel moved in and opened his restaurant, there weren't any places close enough to home that I'd feel comfortable taking one of the kids to by myself. Now, thanks to him, one-on-one time with the kids is an option. Over here I find myself increasingly thankful for these small blessings.


girl time, originally uploaded by Wanderings.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so awesome! And you look great! :o)

Sarah said...

That's great that you get to spend time with the kids alone...I be they LOVE that, being from such a big family!

FAB hat, by the way :)

Jesse said...

I love your hat!!! So cute:)

antof9 said...

I'm thinking it must have been this pic on your blog that prompted Of The to say the other night, "Jen just has such a cute smile." I agree, but didn't know what made him say that :)

Yay for girl time (the pics of Holly are darling) and yay for Joel!

pictures: second time around

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer